Insulin reset is a term used to refer to a dietary approach aimed at reducing insulin resistance, which is the body’s decreased ability to respond to insulin. The following are science-based tips on how to perform an insulin reset:
1) Reduce your intake of refined carbohydrates: Refined carbohydrates such as white bread, pasta, and sugary beverages cause a rapid rise in blood sugar levels leading to an increase in insulin levels. Reducing your intake of refined carbs can help to regulate insulin levels.
2) Increase fiber intake: Foods high in fiber help to slow down the absorption of glucose, which helps to regulate insulin levels. Foods high in fiber include fruits, vegetables, and whole-grain products.
3) Incorporate healthy fats into your diet: Healthy fats like Omega-3 found in fish oil, chia seeds, and walnuts have been shown to improve insulin sensitivity.
4) Perform regular physical exercise: Physical exercise helps to increase insulin sensitivity by encouraging the storage of glucose in muscles instead of fat.
5) Reduce stress levels: Stress hormones such as cortisol can increase insulin resistance. Reducing stress levels through meditation, yoga or other relaxation techniques can help improve insulin sensitivity.
It is also essential to consult a healthcare provider before making any dietary or lifestyle changes.